Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Rainy Afternoon in the NY Public Library


There is nothing worse than anxiously awaiting the weekend, only to find that the weather is overcast, rainy, and gloomy.  While an overcast day can definitely make for some amazing photography, a rainy day doesn’t; well, not if your plan for the day is a fantastic shoot outside in the wonderful world of NYC.  I had learned this lesson the hard way too many times, and so I began to keep a running list of amazing places I wanted to shoot, all of which were inside and screaming “come see me on a rainy nasty day!”

One of the top places on my list was the New York Public Library (NYPL), the oldest library in our country and considered one of the top five research libraries to date.  The NYPL is gorgeous.  It serves as part library and part museum; part nerd hangout and part tourist attraction; part functional space and part historical landmark.  It is all these things at the same time, which is what makes it a truly amazing place.



There was another major thing drawing me to the library…my obsession with card catalogs.  I love them, don’t know why but I have an intense fascination with them, and even dream of owning one someday to keep in my home (I know, it’s odd).  Perhaps it’s the nostalgic aspect of remembering the days flipping through the catalog before racing off to locate a book.  Or perhaps it’s related to my love of all things “old” and vintage, to which category a card catalog certainly applies these days.  Either way, I couldn’t wait to find one, and I thought it would be easy—I mean, it’s a library.  And while all things are online these days, I expect a library to keep one, at least one, just for old time’s sake.  It took a solid 45 min of exploring but find one I did! Well, technically Austin did, but whose counting.  I guess on the positive side, the lack of numerous card catalogs in a library as huge and old as the NYPL is a good sign that my dream of having my own may not be that hard to accomplish after all.





No comments:

Post a Comment